[CT Birds] Reddish Egret ???

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:35:29 EDT 2011

For what it's worth (probably very little), Hank Golet and I
independently birded Griswold Pt two days ago, the day before Audrey's
report.

There was an adult Little Blue Heron on the flats in the inlet at low
tide, which is the closest thing to a Reddish Egret I saw. It was
feeding rather methodically, in typical Little Blue fashion. Not the
erratic foraging behavior to which Audrey is likely referring that is
typical of Reddish Egret.

Of course that was a day before, and Griswold Pt would be a fine place
for a Reddish Egret to appear in CT. Her reference to "foraging
characteristics" is probably the most intriguing statement despite
there being no description of what that behavior was.

Though access to Griswold Pt is very difficult for nonresidents,
especially during summer, it would be worth checking out.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT