[CT Birds] Ct River terns and martins

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Jul 26 10:21:56 EDT 2011

I went on a cruise to see the former Connecticut Yankee property in Haddam Neck yesterday and had a couple of interesting observations.  There were 3 Common Terns foraging on the river near the Haddam bridge; the furthest up the river I've had terns.   Also, swallows are starting to stage, including a couple dozen Purple Martins which were perched on snags on the CY property and in Salmon Cove.     Hopefully that beautiful property can end up in conservation hands and not developed.  Development would drastically alter the wild feel and beauty of Salmon Cove.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road