[CT Birds] McLean's Game Refuge, also Mt. Rainier

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 27 18:40:11 EDT 2011

Just returned from hiking around Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helen's...part of
the time wearing crampons on a deep snow base. It's hard to get used to the
heat here. No lifers, but it's always fun to watch the Dippers dipping and
the Varied Thrushes looking lovely.

Hiked through McLean's today and met up with some agitated birds!  First I
came upon two Cooper's hawks, I believe. They screamed at me and flew about
overhead...I wonder if they have young in the area.

Believe it or not I was dive-bombed by a Peewee! Good thing I had a hat. I
think it was a juvenile because it had a bright yellow-orange bill. It was
singing, which I thought was odd if it indeed was a juvenile bird. Any
thoughts on this?