[CT Birds] Cicada vs House Sparrow

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:33:42 EDT 2011

Today among the sounds of baby birds in the back yard came suddenly a very
strange clicking and buzzing sound.  Seemed like some kind of alarm call,
but not one I recognized.  The cat was immediately pasted against the
window, and following her sight line, I found a House Sparrow in my driveway
trying to dispatch a huge Cicada of some kind.  It was the bug that had been
"screaming."  First time I ever heard an insect alarm call!  The House
Sparrow was pecking away at the cicada, which was clearly alive and trying
to escape.  Finally, the House Sparrow carried it off in his beak, half
flying and half hopping.  Quite a noisy happening.

Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

*"*Come to me bird-watching God, you will find the branches for nesting. A
mustard seed of faith grows to a place of many wings*.*"
                                    from “Prayer of the Heart” by Maren C.
Tirabassi & Joan Jordan Grant