[CT Birds] Readings-2

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Aug 1 15:41:02 EDT 2011

F. Schuyler Mathews

We think there is a vast mediocrity of singers in Nature’s chorus and
only occasionally a supreme soloist! It is scarcely so; the master
singer, I fear is often so labeled without that wider acquaintance
with the many talented singers which would cause to hesitate before
we hang the card over his neck. I would, I must spend an hour or more
in Steinway’s warerooms trying instruments before I pronounced
Judgement on a particular one, and in some respects the choice would
be partly a matter of taste. I wonder wether that delicate instrument
in the throat of the Hermit Thrush differs so widely from the one
made by the hand of man, that Great Designer succeeded in turning it
out like a mere machine, not one whit different from others he had
created! No! Never does Nature repeat herself; it is not one vast
mediocre chorus, it is an endless variety of soloists whose voices,
filled with tone-color, redundant in melody, replete with expression,
and strong in individuality, make up the orchestra which performs
every year the glad spring symphony. The Hermit is the great tone
artist, the Red-eyed Vireo is the obligato accompanist, the Song
Sparrow is the melodist, and the Partridge controls the drums. But
every individual sings his own song.

Dennis Varza