[CT Birds] Lapland Longspur records

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Aug 2 13:40:22 EDT 2011

The first Fall southern New England Laplands usually show up in late September or early in October though they tend to be individual birds that are easily missed or overlooked and which predate the bulk of that fraction of Lapland Longspurs that move into or through our area. They are often found on beaches or in coastal scrub or just heard as flyovers. I think the earliest I have personally encountered is around October 3rd on Griswold Point. With regards to this individual I suggest an option other than early or late migrant. That option would be an injured or ill bird that has recovered or is recovering and never actually left the region in the last migration. These out-of-date occurrences that fall dead in-between any historical dates which make sense are just statistical anomalies that really can't be worked into early/late migration dates, in my humble opinion. The whole concept of early/late dates is for capturing the total temporal span of the migratory behavior of a species, and these temporally ambiguous anomalies are statistical outliers that can't be confidently used to modify the data. But they are very interesting and great fun, AND they remind us to be open to anything at anytime. After all, vagrants and rarities are just such pattern anomalies as well!

Dave