[CT Birds] Non-bird Wildlife

Jan Hollerbach smilifase at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 20:44:30 EDT 2011

Got home from work and went to clean/refill bird baths when I saw movement in the "wilderness" section of my yard. Usually it's a deer, and at first glance I thought it was a small deer. But then it stopped. And I stopped. And it was a coyote!

Now, having grown up in CA, I'm used to the raggedy slinky "Wiley Coyote" types.  Kinda like a guy in a bar trying to pick you up wearing a "leisure suit".   This was not that guy!  I remember the discussion about Coyote X Wolf, and this looked more like that possibility. This Coyote was bigger, less dissheveled looking and did seem to have a good-sized head. He was pretty intimidating!  After a good staring, he walked off, but I'm thinking I may not need to apply Bobbex to my plants to keep the deer away anymore!

Also, around dusk I was gonna go out and fill my bird feeders on the deck.  When I looked outside to make sure there were no more birds at the feeders, what do I find but a baby racoon asleep on my deck railing!

I guess trying to make your yard bird friendly doesn't stop with the birds.

Jan Hollerbach

Sent from my iPhone