[CT Birds] Lapland Longspur reports, May-Sept

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Aug 2 23:30:52 EDT 2011

I decided to take a stroll through my archives of daily reports and the old Birds This Week reports to see what I could turn up for Lapland Longspur in the months May through September.  I found nothing profound, but since I did the search I figured I should share the results.

 From Frank Mantlik:
05/02/07 - Westport -- migrant fall-out in the morning drizzle and fog, especially Longshore golf course woods & fields, including male LAPLAND LONGSPUR...

 From Ted Hendrickson
09/27/05 - Old Lyme, Griswold Point -- LAPLAND LONGSPUR.

 From Marty Moore:
05/15/06 - Durham, skating pond parking lot on Route 68 -- One male LAPLAND LONGSPUR in breeding plumage. Out of season, and did not appear to be injured as it eventually flew north.

 From Dennis Varza:
09/27/00 - West Haven, Sandy Point -- 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR.

 From Bruce Stevenson
09/30/01 - Madison, Hammonasset Beach State Park -- one LAPLAND LONGSPUR.

 From the old Birds This Week (compiled by Jamie Meyers):
June 8, 1994 - Lapland Longspur.

the seven days starting on 9/17 and ending on 9/23:
     1993 -- Hammonasset Beach SP, Madison
     1996 -- Griswold Point, Old Lyme

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT