[CT Birds] Storm-Petrel and Eiders

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu Aug 4 21:33:25 EDT 2011

08/04/11:  Today, I went kayaking with my 18-year old son, Gregory, and my
brother, Tom.  We left from the boat launch at Barn Island in Stonington and
headed towards Fisher’s Island (NY).  We saw two Wilson’s Storm Petrels in
CT waters on our way to the island and a large flock of Common Eider (30+)
at the east end of Fisher’s Island.  They were all females and first-year
birds.  This must be a post-breeding flock.  I was encouraged to see them,
as I thought it bode well for seeing eider along the CT shores this fall and
winter.   We weren’t birding, exactly, but we did see a nice variety of
shorebirds at Napatree Point (RI, our 3rd state of the day).  We saw eleven
species in all: American Oystercatcher, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated
Plover, Piping Plover, Greater Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper, Willet, Ruddy
Turnstone, Sanderling, Semipalmated Sandpiper, and Short-billed Dowitcher.
The waters off our CT shores can really be a treat for birding and boating!

08/04/11:  Stonington, ½ mile off shore in the L.I. Sound—two WILSON’S STORM
PETRELS.

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge