[CT Birds] Giant Swallowtails in Canaan!

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 19:38:58 EDT 2011

Add me to the list of happy customers who've seen Giant Swallowtail this year.  I took half the day off from work at the risking of annoying my boss.  He didn't mind, but even if he did, I'd just have to say -- WORTH IT!  What a cool bug.

I saw at least three of them.  The first was crossing US 7 in the Hollenbeck Preserve area just north of the Citgo station at the intersection of 7 and 126.  The next was a better look, off nearly Peale Street, in the Hollenneck Preserve.   There is a day care center and across the street is a big field with lots of nectar sources.  At least one was working the Joe Pye Weed pretty regularly.  Other swallowtail species were also present, making for interesting comparisons.

The third was puddling in a small muddy pulloff next to a barn off Sand Road, no more than 1/2 mile north of the train tracks and perhaps a mile or so south of the quarry.  Many butterflies were puddling here and this individual allowed close approach and spectacular photo ops.

I have that I saw this species in FL in 2006 but I thought it was a lifer at the time I was looking at them today.  No matter, it was a great way to spend the afternoon and a solid addition to my CT list!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT