[CT Birds] Belated winter duck reports

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sat Aug 6 17:40:52 EDT 2011

Not from the actual winter, though...

On July 27, 4 AMERICAN WIGEON went over my Stratford yard around 7PM while I was outside with my dog (and thankfully my bins). There was a nice north wind after a cold front, but other than that, you tell me.
On August 3, 1 WHITE-WINGED SCOTER was relaxing off Stratford Point, resting on a rock and swimming around. It was not seen since but you can see it here with some other birds - http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2011/08/stratford-point-in-pictures.html

The winter duck thing has been a theme this summer. Migration is very much underway with daily sightings of Bobolink, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, Orchard Oriole, Warbling Vireo, House Wren, Chimney Swift, six swallow species, etc. at Stratford Point. That's not even mentioning the hundreds and thousands of shorebirds building up. It's an exciting month even without the White-tailed Kite, so come on down to visit. Remember we had the Brown Pelican last year on August 10 and so many other terrific birds with all those eyes around.

Please keep watching for color banded Purple Martins and report any you see to the CT DEEP or me, thanks! There are plenty around Stratford Point, Milford Point, etc. right now. They're dispersing all over the state.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.