[CT Birds] Swallows (13) on a wire, Washington Depot, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 7 10:32:20 EDT 2011

I have to assume swallows are on the move now. I have not seen tree swallows in the field below our house in Washington, CT, where we have bluebird/tree swallow nesting boxes, for about 3 weeks. I went to Washington Depot, CT this morning (9:30AM, Sunday, 7 Aug 2011) to get the morning paper at the Washington Market and noted 13 swallows on a wire opposite the market. Dummy me did have my bins but the swallows all looked like adult or young tree swallows. I do see cave swallows and chimney swifts in Washington Depot during breeding season but rarely tree swallows. Are tree swallows massing at the shore now?

David W Babington
Washington, CT