[CT Birds] mid-air catch

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Aug 8 11:40:05 EDT 2011

I was asked once, while giving a presentation (New Haven Bird Club???) regarding the Morning Flight at Bluff Point, if I had ever seen one of the many thousands of songbirds leaving the Hot Corner get nailed by a raptor. I replied that while it surly happened occasionally, I had never seen it happen during all the years I had been observing. So of course the very next day at Bluff we watched a Merlin take an American Redstart out of the air. Like conjuring the devil...