[CT Birds] When you gotta lay an egg...

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Aug 8 13:12:37 EDT 2011

I was just told a story about an event many years ago. A coworker told me of returning home each night and finding a smashed bird's nest in the driveway. This happened for several days in a row. There were no trees nearby and this nest being there didn't make any sense. He asked his wife about it and she said she had no idea where the nests were coming from. Finally he figured out that a Robin was repeatedly building a nest on top of one of the rear tires on his wife's car and it would get destroyed/smashed when she drove the car. So once they discovered this, his wife would remove the new nest before driving off each day. Well as most of you know, first year nesting Robins often make very poor nest site decisions. So this pair just kept trying to recreate the nest on top of the tire even though it was repeatedly destroyed. Finally, after a number of days of this, my coworker went out to his truck one morning (his wife had left earlier) and he found a single Robin's egg just sitting all by its lonesome on top of one of the tires on his truck. I guess when you have to lay an egg you just gotta lay an egg!

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.