[CT Birds] Greens Farms MetroNorth train station / Westport / new power station

Meredith, Leslie Leslie.Meredith at simonandschuster.com
Mon Aug 8 17:35:24 EDT 2011

This morning I spotted a beautiful Cedar Waxwing fluttering around and across both sides of the eastern end of the station platform. The GF station, which is at the end of an inlet marsh that connects to Burying Hill Beach, is a reliable place for seeing a nice range of migrants as well as residents. A Waxwing pair had returned late April and I hadn't seen them since, until today. The RW B'birds return to the marsh in March; 1st week of May every year brings back the Yellow Warblers, commong yt's, Balto Orioles (seen and heard last week); their cheerful songs are very welcome t/o the Spring and Summer as I'm waiting to commute. Osprey and Great Blue Herons sometimes fly over. Kinglets went thru in a flock earlier in the year; Grackles abound. And we have our residents, Downy WP, Cardinals, Titmouse, RT Hawk.

Earlier this year, a lot of trees popular with Yellow Warblers were torn down to the west of the station, along the parking lot, New Haven side, to make way for a power station, which is now speedily rising and uglifying the area. It is heartbreaking that the habitat is gone and I do think I saw and heard fewer YW's this year than previously.  Does anyone know if this kind of station has the potential to hurt birds if they land on structures within it? I can't seem to find out anything about it, if it was approved by DEP/CT...  Any advice on how to inquire would be much appreciated.

Leslie Meredith
Westport, CT