[CT Birds] birds chomping birds

Grimm, Chris chris.grimm at globepequot.com
Tue Aug 9 16:19:53 EDT 2011

To continue these stories (though I saw no mid-air catch), I saw this
one about a year ago at home in Westport...

I was at the door of the garage loading garbage into the car for a trip
to the dump when I noticed feathers coming out of the boxwood next to
the driveway.  LOTS of feathers - like a bubble machine, but feathers
instead of bubbles.

So I walked over to take a look-see but the feathers stopped and I
didn't take much of a look.  They'd clearly come from a couple of feet
over my head - my primary thought was that I was glad that it didn't
seem to be a feral cat.

Anyhow, when I returned to the car, the feathers started up again, so I
really stuck my head up in the boxwood (an idea that seems awfully dumb,
as I now describe it) and, propped on a limb above this nice, cave-like
opening, about two feet over my head, was a sharpie, dining on a
nuthatch.  While I felt bad for the nuthatch, I was happy to see that
the sharpie had a place that seemed safe enough that he didn't bother
leaving - either when I was there or after I left.  I was even able to
grab my camera phone and return for a couple of (unfortunately dark and
blurry) shots.