[CT Birds] HOORAY!

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Aug 11 20:46:16 EDT 2011

The Super Fantabulous, Magnificent, nobody’s talking about or
noticed, Southport Survey is back!

Today I did Southport Survey #269

At 6:45 the tide was rising. The major rocks of Sunken Island were
exposed. The water was calm. The sky was clear with no breeze.

Off shore the only birds on the water was the occasional Cormorant.
The terns were all fly-by. Only the larger rocks of the island were
exposed and had the Turnstones and a few Common Terns.Southport
Harbor had 2 Great Blue Herons each on their own Yacht. Mallards were
scattered about.

The beaches had plenty of gulls and interestingly most were Ring-
billed gulls, including one bird of the year. Fresh Immature Gulls
are most atractive, in a subtle way like female ducks. Southport
Beach had most of the Great Egrets hanging around the base of the
Jetty. It is impressive how tame they have become over the years.

Dennis Varza

Since I don’t have recent data for comparison, I will make a
comparison with the past
I have 13 days of Observation for August. and 29 species reported

Below is the number observed, Average number seen in the month ( )
for 100% frequency or % of the time seen

Canada Goose	24—(52)
Mute Swan	2—(3.3)
Mallard	24—(26)
Double-crested Cormorant	30—(34)