[CT Birds] Bluebird Killers?

jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 11 20:48:54 EDT 2011

I never say never with nature, but my guess would be House Sparrows.  I have
seen them do it to chickadees in my own yard.  Last year, we had a brood of
at least five in a nest box next to the garden.  I hadn't seen a House
Sparrow in the yard for months or years, but this particular morning I saw a
male chirping like crazy on top of the box.  I told my girls to go out and
scare it away, which they did.  I had to leave and so did they with their
mother.  I returned home 2-3 hours later and saw the male House Sparrow by
the box again.  I scared it away and then went inside to eat lunch.  From
the kitchen table I could see an adult chickadee go inside the box with a
green caterpillar.  It re-emerged with the same caterpillar a few seconds
later - bad sign.  I went out and opened the box.....empty.  I couldn't
figure out what happened.  Certainly the chickadee nestlings were too young
to fledge.  As I turned around to go back inside, I looked down and saw at
least 4 of the nestlings on the ground, dead, back of their necks snapped.
No doubt who did it.  Killing for killings sake. That's why when I check
bluebird boxes and find House Sparrows, I have no problem tossing out eggs
or nestlings.

My $0.02.

John Triana
Prospect