[CT Birds] Nest sites in a garage - American robin plus

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 12 08:09:20 EDT 2011

Noted two interesting nests in the garage of my cousin John's apartment in Massachusetts this week. My cousin's apartment is part of a former carriage house on an old estate in Mass. One has to go through the garage part of the old carriage house to get to the doors of the two apartments in the old carriage house. The garage space is big with a very high ceiling. The garages doors are kept mostly open in the spring/summer. On top of the garage door opener in the garage was a American robin nest. The robins had two families in this nest and there was still one nestling in the nest when we first got there. The nestling was gone the morning we left. Further back in the garage there appeared to be an eastern phoebe nest, which was empty. I  would love to do some birding on this old estate in the spring as it is the highest spot in this town, with lots of trees, in the outer western suburbs of Boston.

David W Babington
Washington, CT