[CT Birds] COA Shorebird Workshop-Marbled Godwit, Whimbrel, Black tern plus

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:44:56 EDT 2011

8/14/11 - Today's wet and windy weather did not deter eleven participants including our leaders Patrick Comins and Frank Mantlik from coming out to the COA Shorebird & Tern Workshop. We had acceptable views, considering the difficult conditions,of fifteen species of shorebirds and seven species of terns. Thanks to everyone who came including our leaders. Our highlights are as follows:
Sandy Point,West Haven - Black-bellied Plover,Semipalmated Plover,Piping Plover,Spotted Sandpiper,Greater Yellowlegs,Eastern Willet,Lesser Yellowlegs,MARBLED GODWIT,Ruddy Turnstone,Sanderling,Semipalmated Sandpiper,Least Sandpiper,Dunlin,Short-billed Dowitcher.
We also had a PEREGRINE FALCON and 5 American Oystercatchers (2 adults,3 juv)
Milford Point,Milford - 1 WHIMBREL,1 BLACK TERN,2 Forster's Terns (1 adult,1 juv)
I checked a few spots in Westport after the workshop to see what may have turned up in my local patch.
Westport - Sherwood Island SP- Lots of birds on the model airplane field and the rotary area including 5 Glossy Ibis,2 Black-bellied Plovers,32 Semipalmated Plover,25 Killdeer,2 Greater Yellowlegs,1 Willet,40 Semipalmated Sandpipers,11 Least Sandpipers(incl. 4 juv),2 Pectoral Sandpipers,6 Short-billed Dowitchers.
Tina Green