[CT Birds] Roseate Terns Niantic Bay

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Aug 15 10:32:13 EDT 2011

About a dozen Sterna Terns feeding in Niantic Bay off Millstone Point at the moment. 3 are Roseate Terns, the rest are Common. I climbed Mt. Isolation in the Dry River Wilderness of the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire this weekend. I hiked in during the night Friday so I was on the summit for the Perseid meteors as well as moon set and sunrise Saturday morning. On my hike out (a little over 7 miles) I encountered a very large mixed flock of Warblers around 2,500 feet elevation. Many B-t Green and Blackpoll (nearly all Blackpolls in or near full "winter" plumage) as well as B-t Blue, Magnolia, Nashville, Redstart, Parula, Blackburnian, and Yellow-rumped. All of these species are breeders at various elevations on these slopes. Most interesting was a Chestnut-sided which would not have been a breeder. Also in the area was Boreal Chickadee (no surprise) and both Crossbills (which were). These were the first Crossbills I've encountered in the Whites this year. The last hike I did in the Whites was six weeks ago and many Swainson's Thrushes were still in song then, though Bicknell's and Hermits were calling only that morning. On this hike I encountered only two Swainson's, and these by call note only. I did not encounter any Bicknell's or even Hermits, ah the summer is ending! All these birds will be passing through Connecticut very soon.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.