[CT Birds] White Mountains Migrations

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 13:38:07 EDT 2011

over on the trail into Zealand Hut. It's a beautiful area with many lakes
surrounded by the mountains. Third week in August and I was surrounded by a
large flock of confusing fall warblers at eye level. I could not even point
my binocs fast enough!  I do remember seeing Chestnut-sided there...one of
the few fall warblers I feel confident in identifying. It was a magical day
because in addition to the warblers everywhere, there were also butterflies
which were landing on me. I ended up just standing in awe for quite a long
time. Just one of those peak experiences!

I will be up in the Whites starting starting this weekend...it would be
lovely to repeat that experience, but I think it was a once in a lifetime