[CT Birds] Audubon Greenwich - OS Fly, WE Vireo

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 07:45:43 EDT 2011

 Hi All,

It certainly felt autumnal last night, so I thought I'd pop out early and see what might have developed in the way of migrants. Hard to totally distinguish between the local population and migrant birds but there seemed to be a few too many RB Grosbeaks, Baltimore Orioles, Indigo Buntings and Blue-winged Warblers this morning to just be local birds. In the non-breeding bird front, plenty of American Redstarts and at least 3 differently marked Canada Warblers.

Highlights though were one briefly perched Olive-sided Flycatcher and one immature White-eyed Vireo. The vireo was amusing in that I heard it singing and we have a Catbird that does a great WE Vireo song on the property, so I was surprised when the vireo popped out of the bush rather than the Catbird first up this morning.

Probably a good morning to check out passerine migration or anything else. My friend texted me at about 5:45 to tell me he was looking at the Brown Booby that was just found up on Cape Cod!!!!!!

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com
www.sunrisebirding.com