[CT Birds] a day on the coast

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Sat Aug 20 19:25:51 EDT 2011

Spend the day on the coast working on my shorebird ID skills. Here's what I had at Sandy Point in West Haven and at Milford Point.  At Milford Point, I got there around noon and found a lot of semipalmated sandpipers and plovers out on the spit.  I set up my scope a good distance from them and scanned the flock.   Slowly but surely the tide came in, the number of birds kept rising, and the distance between us declined.  When a sandbar farther out was submerged, larger shorebirds came to join the flock that  surrounded me.  The flock was easily 1250 birds and and most were within 50 meters of my spot of the spit.  It was pretty cool.

8/20 Sandy Point, 9:30-11:30am, 6 Great Egret, 3 Snowy Egrets, 2 Green Herons, 1 Great Blue Heron, 11 Semipalmated plovers, 1 Semiplamated sandpiper, 42 Black-bellied plovers, 1 MARBLED GODWIT, 4 Lesser yellowlegs, 1 great yellowlegs, 10 least sandpipers, 100 Sanderlings,, 6 American Oystercatchers, 2 Ruddy Turnstones, 25 Laughing Gulls, 10 Common terns

8/20 Milford Point, 12:30-3:30pm, 500+ Semipalmated sandpiper, 750+ Semipalmated sandpipers, 25 Sanderlings, 8 Ruddy Turnstones, 17 Short-billed Dowitchers, 5 Least Sandpipers, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 50 black-bellied plovers, 3 American Oystercatchers, 7 RED KNOTS, 25 common terns, 1 least tern, 1 Skimmer, 2 FORESTERS TERNS.  Thank you to Paul Desjardins for help with the Red Knot ID.