[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch - few birds but interesting behavior

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Aug 20 22:19:36 EDT 2011

Hi All,

The official kick off for the hawkwatch today in Greenwich. Not much in the way of raptors (3 Osprey and 1 Broad-winged Hawk) and land migrants were thin on the ground as well (a couple of Redstarts and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher or two). However I was intrigued to see a juvie Broad-winged Hawk using the thermals and some sharp maneuvering to hawk and eat dragonflies on the wing. Not something I have noted before and kind of cool to see (although I could pick another couple of birds that exhibit this behaviour more regulalrly I might have preferred to see). Anyway asking a few experienced watchers this is a relatively uncommonly observed behavior so it made the rather quiet day somewhat worthwhile.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com
www.sunrisebirding.com