[CT Birds] Comment on Worms

twan leenders tleenders at ctaudubon.org
Sun Aug 21 17:16:04 EDT 2011

I don't want to carry this off-topic thread on for too long, but the herpetologist in me wants to point out that recent studies have shown that non-native earthworms have been implicated as a driving force behind the invasion by several invasive plant species - most notably Garlic Mustard, Japanese Stiltgrass and Japanese Barberry. The resulting negative changes in vegetation communities and soil chemistry have led to dramatic declines in woodland salamander populations. In many parts of Connecticut flipping a log to look for salamanders now will only yield nightcrawlers.

Even these seemingly insignifanct changes in our biodiversity can have far-reaching consequences.

Twan Leenders
Conservation Biologist
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr Street