[CT Birds] More Tagged Gulls to Watch For

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Aug 22 18:23:12 EDT 2011

I was asked to pass along the message that can be found below.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Dear gull enthusiasts,

I am a researcher at Acadia University working with Dr. Phil Taylor on a new project studying the movements and migrations of gulls from Sable Island, Nova Scotia.  In June 2011 we banded Herring Gulls with PINK alpha-numeric bands as well as PINK wing-tags which are quite obvious in flight or on land.  We also banded Great Black-backed Gull chicks with GREEN alpha-numeric bands.

Reports of these birds throughout the year will greatly enhance the success of this project to document the movements and migrations of gulls from this far offshore colony.

Please visit my blog where you can learn more about the project and find links on how to report marked birds that you've spotted.  I will be posting photos and stories of re-sighted birds on this blog, so sign up for e-mail updates.

http://sableislandgulls.wordpress.com/

Please contact me if you see these or other marked gulls over the fall and winter.  The blog also contains links to other gull banding projects.

Sincerely,

Rob Ronconi,   rronconi at yahoo.com
Postdoctoral Researcher
Dept. of Biology, Acadia University