[CT Birds] 8/23 - Fairfield Migrants

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Tue Aug 23 20:25:24 EDT 2011

I was able to sneak in some birding in the evening after being busy with school stuff most of the day. Both the Birdcraft Sanctuary and South Pine Creek were much more productive in terms of migrants than I had expected with eight species of warbler being seen. It was a great day except for the fact that my bike was stolen, which was my main way of getting to birding spots.

Highlights below:

Birdcraft Sanctuary: 3-4pm

1 Black-throated Blue Warbler
5 Black-and-white Warbler
11 American Redstart
1 Northern Waterthrush
2 Common Yellowthroat
1 Wilson's Warbler

South Pine Creek OS: 5-6pm
1-2 Magnolia Warbler
8 Black-and-white Warbler
9 American Redstart
2 Common Yellowthroat
2 Canada Warbler
plus....
12 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 "Traill's" Flycatcher
1 Warbling Vireo
4 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 Eastern Bluebird -- flyover; my first for this location, very uncommon south of I-95 in Fairfield

Alex Burdo
Fairfield