[CT Birds] Hurricane Irene appears to aiming at us

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 00:47:46 EDT 2011

Hi Sarah,
As Nick said, its definitely too early to be sure of anything, but as of the
moment hurricane Irene SEEMS to be pointed toward a glancing hit on
NorthCarolina 8pm Saturday and a second landfall around New York City 8pm
Sunday evening, as per this map from NOAA National Hurricane Center.....
As my friend P.A.Buckley has noted, some of the best birds may be found
under or east of the eye of the storm.
Monday August 29th might be a good day to schedule as a "vacation day" if
possible.  From a birding point of view, Irene's currently estimated track
is extremely exciting, and all the East Coast bird lists will probably start
buzzing about this hurricane in the next few days.

Tom Robben
Glastonbury CT