[CT Birds] Cockenoe Island Westport

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Thu Aug 25 17:30:15 EDT 2011

For the past three years I have followed AMERICAN
OYSTERCATCHERS staging this time of year on the Norwalk Islands, in all of those years Crow Island was the place for this gathering, with numbers as high a 63. Today there was only 1.
This year the birds are not assembling on Crow Island but rather on
Cockenoe Island, Tina Green has been spotting this group from the mainland shore for about a week. I checked each island today by boat to confirm that they in fact did move.
Also on
Cockenoe Island were 3 juv BLACK SKIMMERS, 1 FORSTER'S TERN along with 120 COMMON TERNS, mostly young still being fed by adults.
Larry Flynn
Norwalk Islands, Fairfield, US-CT
Aug 25, 2011 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     52
amoy were on cockenoe
16 species

Double-crested Cormorant  100
Great Egret  5
Snowy Egret  2
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Osprey  7
Black-bellied Plover  6
Semipalmated Plover  25
American Oystercatcher  53     52 staging on cockenoe island, 1 on crow island
Ruddy Turnstone  30
Laughing Gull  40
Herring Gull  60
Great Black-backed Gull  40