[CT Birds] WW Scoter

John Ogren northernrail at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 16:52:53 EDT 2011

   Does the WW Scoter show any signs of a damaged lower bill? I had one in Old Saybrook that hung around into late May/June. It appeared that his lower bill was split and about 2/3's of it was just hanging. I tried to capture it with the assistance of a rehabber, but the bird was able to elude us. I monitered it for several weeks.  It was managing to catch and eat green crabs and other crustaceans in our marsh.
  Interesting enough Jerry Connolly spotted a Scoter off of Hammo about a week or two after my bird had left.
John Ogren