[CT Birds] Terns: CASPIAN, ROYAL, SOOTY

Richard Payne richardpayne07 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 18:35:59 EDT 2011

Was able to do some post-storm birding on the coast this afternoon:

CASPIAN TERN - 1 in adult plumage flying over Frash Pond in Stratford, 3:15
pm

Milford Point, 4:20-4:50:

ROYAL TERN - 1 in non-breeding plumage, looking worn out, on the gravel bars
before flying into the marsh. I got within 50 feet of it before I even
noticed he was there; the bird had a metal band on its right leg; if he
sticks around should be easy enough to find tomorrow.

SOOTY TERN - 1 seen flying among a flock of ~40 Common Terns, over Long
Island Sound from the Milford Point gravel bars.

Descriptions of all birds are going into eBird soon.

~Richard