[CT Birds] Black terns at Hanover Pond

Joseph Budrow jbudrow at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 28 21:27:37 EDT 2011

I, too was at Hanover Pond but lost power at the house and was unable to post. Very excited to see three birds acting so different from birds I have seen here ever. They set themselves up by pointing into the wind and flapped northwest toward the inflowing Quinnipiac River. During this trajectory they flitted up, sideways and down until they splashed down to dine on whatever. Then they would take air and zoom backwards a few hundred yards and did it all again.

Thanks to those for posting their inland pelagic sightings. Its what got me to roll downhill to the pond and my week is made. A lifer!!

I actually went to the pond in hopes of seeing a magnificent frigatebird :(