[CT Birds] American Golden-Plover plus, Fairfield

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Mon Aug 29 10:19:11 EDT 2011

I spent a couple of hours this morning hitting spots in the vicinity of Southport, hoping for a reorienting rarity to use Mill River to navigate and appear at Southport Harbor. Although nothing out of the ordinary was found there were still quite a few birds to be seen.

The Fairfield Country Club, a decent spot for grasspipers was flooded by the storm, causing quite a few pools to appear around the course which in turn attracted quite a few shorebirds, gulls and ducks. Highlights below:

5 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS -- a nice group of birds, all adults still retaining a lot of their breeding garb. These birds were quite jumpy, moving around a bit and finally took off along with the Willet to the northeast.
40 Killdeer
3 Semipalmated Plover
12 Greater Yellowlegs
4 Lesser Yellowlegs
2 Solitary Sandpiper
1 "Western" Willet
35 Semipalmated Sandpiper
22 Least Sandpiper

I was able to view this spot from a couple of different vantage points on Harbor Road on the Southport side, although the course is across the harbor in Fairfield. It is a private club, thus my inability to actually enter it.

Other highlights from the area included:

10 Laughing Gull
4 Bank Swallow

Alex Burdo

>From Alex Burdo:
08/28/11 - Fairfield Country Club -- 5 AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER (all adults) that flew off to the Northeast, 2 SOLITARY SANDPIPER and 2 PECTORAL SANDPIPER.