[CT Birds] more from Mansfield (belatedly)

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 29 18:11:01 EDT 2011

In addition to Mark's notes on ctbirds yesterday, I can add that I had a common tern and two large, dark terns flying south along the Willimantic River at Eagleville Lake after the storm passed (around 4 pm).  Unfortunately, I was watching the white tern which was flying towards me at eye level and didn't see the two big dark ones that were up high until they were practically overhead.  My initial reaction was sooty, but I do not know either species well, so cannot rule out bridled based on the brief, backlit views that I got.  All three birds showed no
 interest in the lake at all and seemed to be just trying to get to the coast as fast as they could.

Also, Mark hinted at some uncertainty about the least tern at Mansfield Hollow.  Most of the time we were there it was at the far side of the lake, so we were identifying it based only on flight
 style and its being smaller than the blacks (and white).  Towards dark, probably after Mark had left, we got much better views as it flew towards us, before heading up and south.

Late in the day we also had two very distant phalaropes (note to records' cmte: we didn't see these well enough for you to accept them ... though I'm pretty confident about the ID).

The "medium sized all dark bird that was tantalizing but unidentified" that Mark mentioned was never seen again.

This morning, access at Mansfield Hollow was harder due to flooding, but I saw nothing but a young bald eagle from Rte 89.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net