[CT Birds] Milford PT

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 29 20:25:41 EDT 2011

8/29  Stratford, Short Beach (closed due to hurricane, but I obtained access on
sidewalk called "Wayne's Walk" off Riverdale Dr.), 5:40 pm.  With bins,  I saw
the crowd of birders across the river on the Milford Point sandbar.  We
communicated by cell phone.
Tide was low; 1000s of birds - terns, gulls, shorebirds, egrets.  Highlights
were:

BLACK NECKED STILT - foraging in shallows, straight out from me, and between
concrete "turret" and Stratford Point.  Took some digiscope record photos.  I
was able to direct the Milford group who could scope it from much greater
distance.
2 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS, largely still in breeding plumage.
4 Red Knots.
2-3 ROYAL TERNS.
1 BLACK SKIMMER (juvenile)
4+ BLACK TERNS.
No sign of any jaegers, though there were 1000+ terns working the river mouth,
off Stratford Point, and around the corner off Russian Beach (Park Blvd), plus
maybe 1500 more resting on the many sandbars and working the east side of the
breakwater.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

p.s. It's good to have electricity back (6:45 tonight).  I'll post my highlights
from yesterday in another e-mail.