[CT Birds] Hurricane Irene Birds 8/28

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 29 21:45:47 EDT 2011

8/28  Bird Highlights 8/28/2011, mostly from Stratford, during Hurricane Irene:

9:30 am Oak Bluff Ave. (road leading to Long Beach) - the salt marsh was flooded
and a choppy "bay".  The causeway was close to being flooded.  A flock of 52
RED-NECKED PHALAROPES repeatedly flying around in a tight flock for 15+ minutes.
 Photos.  There were also 15 CLAPPER RAILS (including 2-3 juveniles) swimming in
open water coming towards Oak Bluff, trying to get to dry land. Several Common
Terns and Barn Swallows as well.

10:00 - Frash Pond - 4 BLACK TERNS foraging over water for as long as I was
there.

10:45 am - Bridgeport - enroute to Seaside Park, a JAEGER species was over my
car on I-95 at exit 27.  I pulled over, viewed it with bins as it struggled
south against the strong winds, took a few photos that unfortunately show
little.  Based on slight size and thin wings, it was either a Long-tailed or a
Parasitic.  Once I got near Seaside Park (main entrance closed), I could see the
bulk of the Park was a lake, and the tide was still rising, quickly flooding the
road near UB that I was on.  I retreated in a hurry.

11:20 - 12:10  -  Rt 1 at Housatonic River, in large parking lot of Savin Rock
Roasting Co. restaurant.  I pulled in and saw a SOOTY TERN over the lot, just as
Charlie Barnard was calling me to tell me.  He'd arrived 15 minutes prior.
 Scott Kruitbosch arrived soon thereafter.  We were amazed to see a frantic
flight of several flocks of terns, against the wind and rain, over a
storm-swollen river.  (Calls were made to other storm-birders, who soon
arrived.)  Species included up to 8 SOOTY TERNS, 1 POSSIBLE BRIDLED TERN, 4
BLACK TERNS, 2 FORSTER'S TERNS, 50 Common Terns, 2 fly-by WHIMBRELS, 1 fly-by
Blue-winged Teal. Several times the Sooty Terns flew over our cars.  I obtained
good photos, which I'll post sometime soon.

Most of the afternoon was spent clearing fallen tree limbs and dealing with
minor damage to our deck.

What a day of storm-birding in CT!  I was in frequent phone communication with
Nick Bonomo, who put even more time in, and had a bunch more great birds.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford
on 8/29, now that electricity is restored.