[CT Birds] Stamford storm birds

James Dugan jim at duganworks.com
Mon Aug 29 22:53:26 EDT 2011

8/28/11 - Stamford, Shippan Pt. 9:30AM to 4:30PM
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel at 12:35PM
4 ad Sooty Terns
7 Black Terns
1 Roseate Tern
22 Forster's Terns
320 Common Terns
(500+ Sterna sp)
3 Jaeger sp
1 juv Red Phalarope
1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper
2 Marbled & 1 Hudsonian Godwits all in flight together
8 Purple martins
5 Cliff Swallows
1 ragged Giant Swallowtail Butterfly

Patrick Dugan
Brenda Inskeep
in part with David Winston

8/28/11 - In addition to the 11 Sooty Terns on Candlewood Lake in New Fairfield that Nick kindly posted for me yesterday, I had 2 Black Terns fly by Girard's Marina, Candlewood Lake in New Milford at 10AM and there were 2 Black Terns (the same?) with the 11 Sootys, seen from 3:30 to 5:30PM. Thanks to my cell phone still working throughout the storm, this herd of terns was also seen by Angela Dimmitt, Wendy Knoth & Angelas friend Linda as well as by my wife Jackie and eldest daughter Sally.

Also thanks to Frank Mantlik for calling the group of birders I was with at Milford Pt this evening with the location of the Black-necked Stilt.

Jim Dugan
New Milford