[CT Birds] Migrants to our north

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Aug 30 11:55:58 EDT 2011

I spent the last part of last week camping in western Maine with my daughter and a couple of her friends. The trip was cut short by a day thanks to Irene and many of the roads we drove across in New Hampshire on the way home have been damaged and closed by flooding. But getting back to birds, while camping on the shore of Lower Rischardson Lake in Maine I encountered many large flocks of migrant warblers, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Chickadees, Siskins, and others, as well as hearing a heavy morning flight on Saturday morning. I was usually without my bins when I experienced them but I don't think I have ever seen so many Magnolia Warblers in one flock. Friday night while l was in my tent I heard many thrush flight calls overhead, mainly Swainson's, punctuated by the wails of Common Loons on the lake. So, though fairly mundane when juxtapositioned against the storm birds of this week, it's a reminder that the fall songbird migration is kicking into high gear.

And truly OT, if you are ever in Bethel Maine and enjoy well brewed ale, you have to try the Sunday River Brewery's IPA!

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.