[CT Birds] LHP Monday

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Aug 30 18:16:32 EDT 2011

>From Greg Hanisek

8/29 New Haven, Lighthouse Point hawk watch - The park was closed due to tree damage but I was able to walk in.
There was no notable hawk flight while I was there but other migrants included:

58 E. Kingbirds, c 100 Barn Swallows, 1 PURPLE MARTIN, 1 DICKCISSEL, and 600 BOBOLINKS. Surprisingly no hummingbirds.

An intersting movement of Ospreys did not conform to a normal migratory event. A steady trickle of birds came down New Haven harbor, mostly 2 or 3 at a time, and fairly low. They appeared to be birds that had been moved inland by Irene and were making their way back to the coast. I had a total of about 30 following this pattern. When they got out toward the Sound they moved off in random directions as if going to fish. They were moving perpendicular to the normal migratory flight line. I had one Osprey following  that line rather high that appeared to be a migrant.

Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe, who was down by the water, saw a Peregrine Falcon catch a bat. It then took it to one of the lighthouse railings for breakfast.