[CT Birds] More nighthawk stuff

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 1 00:42:46 EDT 2011

The last two days I haven't been specifically birding, but I'm always birding in one way, shape or form.  I noticed what seemed to be more mid-afternoon nighthawk action than usual during migration both yesterday and today.  On a trip from canton to Norwich for a baseball game this afternoon I had several smallish groups over rt. 2 in Glastonbury and Marlborough then again in Franklin.  When I arrived at Dodd Stadium for the game, around 5:45 or so there was a massive group of Tree Swallows with a number of nighthawks mixed in.  What I found interesting is that the group dispersed pretty quickly thereafter, and I only noticed one nighthawk during the game, flying south in twilight around 7:20 or so.  I often see them in the last hour or so of daylight more, and if I happen to be at a late August ballgame I usually see a few hunting in the lights of the stadium during the game.  I had two doing that at a game in New Britain last week sometime but that's all for that activity this August.

Obviously a heavy movement of this gorgeous species over the past two afternoons.  I would say that I encountered about a dozen smallish groups in my travels yesterday and today, spread out fairly evenly across the state.  I've noted a few of the other reports have been of very large flocks, which has not been my personal experience this week.  Glad to see that others are seeing them in huge numbers.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT