[CT Birds] GULL-BILLED TERN photo/status

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Thu Sep 1 17:46:24 EDT 2011

On the tern count, no Sandwich this week in my tired brain...but this *YEAR* in the Housatonic alone I've had Common, Least, Forster's, Roseate, Black, Sooty, Bridled, Sandwich, Caspian, Royal, and Gull-billed. 11. Whoa!

Here is the now infamous Gull-billed Tern photo via my BlackBerry: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2011/09/irene-birds-1-gull-billed-tern-black.html

Plus a couple bad ones of the BN Stilt and Avocet. This is the only Gull-billed Tern shot besides a few poor previous digiscope attempts by me prior to my departure at ~4:50. We could not relocate it shortly after I posted; the terns come up a lot of course and there are many shorebirds and gulls out there, a Peregrine, plus some of terns are coming off of the group to go feed elsewhere as the tide drops.

Keep searching there and around the mouth of the river and keep it coming my friends. I guess I'll summarize my sightings when this finally calms down, hopefully not for a week or two. Our options are seemingly limitless right now.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society