[CT Birds] Brown Pelican record shots/information

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Thu Sep 1 20:49:48 EDT 2011

I added a couple rough Brown Pelican record shots once again via BlackBerry/scope to the end of the Gull-billed Tern photo post: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2011/09/irene-birds-1-gull-billed-tern-black.html

Around sunset we saw the Brown Pelican fishing off Stratford Point and sitting on bars near it. I would guess this is the best area to start tomorrow, but any vantage point of the Housatonic mouth should do with a bird like this. I make no guarantees of getting there before sunrise to open up Stratford Point - it's been a long 10 or so days as I'm sure it has been for many of you - but you are always free to park in the dirt pulloff near the property on Prospect Drive as the fishermen do and walk to the beach along the fence. One would have had great views of it tonight from this area.

Right now I basically assume the hits are going to keep coming. Those four species at Milford Point today represented one of the best I think you could imagine for one spot in Connecticut. Adding in things like Baird's and Western Sandpipers, 4 Whimbrels tonight, 2 "western" Willets, plus all of the "regular" amazing birds and you did not know where to look. Poor Gallo.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society