[CT Birds] Strong Road, South Windsor

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 15:54:08 EDT 2011

 The Cattle Egret was found by Jamie Meyers, I came upon the egret and Jamie a few minutes later. The Rocky Hill Meadows are currently impassable, so birders can only imagine what may be there. To the north along the east side of the Connecticut River, the South Windsor farmlands are loaded with shorebirds. Although we were unable to locate Paul Cianfaglione's Ruddy Turnstone found this morning, the wetland edges north of the dirt section of Strong Road harbored American Golden Plover, Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary, Pectoral, White-rumped, Semi-palmated and Least Sandpipers, and Snipe. Not a bad shorebird haul in northern Hartford County. The barren farm fields in the vicinity were loaded with the tracks of shorebirds, so this area could hold other exciting birds and definitely should be watched over the next week.

Jay Kaplan