[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - OS Fly - not much hawks

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 18:32:57 EDT 2011

 Hi All,

I would guess a third OS fly for the week in the Fairchild Gardens/Quaker Ridge area. Got a record shot for the blog - which I digiscoped in terrible light http://underclearskies.com/2011/09/04/olive-sided-flycatcher/ At the hawkwatch it seems a combination of storm and southerly arflow has almost completely suppressed hawk migration - not even sure if I have tallied 100 birds so far this fall. I will try to have hawkcount up to date this week after a week without power.

On the Irene birds front, that's kinda exactly what I was saying Arthur. I've seen American White Pelican in Connecticut and NYC at periods that were completely unrelated to storms and it doesn't strike me as an obvious candidate to show up after one. Not that it is that important, I was just noting that there is migration going on and not everything we might pick up now is necessarily a product of the storm.

ps Nice find on the Brown Pelican James!

Luke Tiller, Greenwich