[CT Birds] Irene Birds

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 5 09:19:37 EDT 2011

I personally would agree with Luke on this one. The White Pelican would have
been in the region on its own and not because it was driven here by Irene.
Now if you want to argue that it was a few miles (10? 20?) from where it
would have been without the storm than that maybe true, but it is splitting
hairs if you ask me. I guess it all depends on how you define "storm birds."
Generally speaking that term has been used to describe birds that are driven
out of their normal location, and/or habitat, and pattern of occurrence by
the effects of the storm. An extreme example would a Tropicbird in central
Massachusetts. White Pelicans occur in the northeast annually, and this
report surely falls within the historical pattern of occurrence, so I would
not list it as an "Irene" bird. But of course this is a subjective
discussion of varying merit about any of the non-pelagic species seen.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England