[CT Birds] memorable Irene moment

Jo-Anne Roberts jmrcnslt at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:54:37 EDT 2011

Power finally restored to many Mansfield Center residents on Saturday night, others on Sunday (8/4). I feel as though I have just returned to civilization after TS Irene! I'm blessed that there was no storm damage to my property and I was without power for 6+ days a minor inconvenience compared to others who are still discarding wet soggy furniture or others who lost their homes to flooding.On Saturday, 8/27, I attempted to prepare for the hurricane and decided to leave some of the feeders up as I thought the birds would need sustenance during the day. I left my 3 large suet feeders, 2 niger seed feeders, 5 hummingbird feeders and a large BOS feeder that is securely attached to a pole. I removed other metal feeders that might get caught on a gust of wind and crash through the sunroom windows. Around 2 pm on Sunday I was watching the frenzied activity of 6 or so hummingbirds, many gold finches and a dozen or so various woodpeckers. I was so glad that I did leave feeders out. At one point the winds started to pick up again and I noticed 4 red bellied woodpeckers gathered on the bottom side of a large diameter branch that shoots out at about a 45 degree angle from the midpoint of the trunk of an ash tree. These birds were hanging on for dear life. My most memorable moment was watching a downy woodpecker taking cover inside a robin nesting box on the same tree waiting for the winds to die down! Still catching up on the 250+ posts to CTBirds from the week. Jo-AnneMansfield Center