[CT Birds] another good passing of warblers

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 7 14:42:03 EDT 2011

This morning around 10:30 in the rain, i had another good passing of warblers
through the yard here in Harwinton. Most were BT Greens, but with a few other
species as well such as Redstart and Pine. They all passed slowly through here
during the light rain while feeding within a half hr. Numbers were difficult to
count, but i estimate 100 or so. yes-birds feed and move during the rain, but we
see this not often because humans don't like to go out birding in the rain,
including me anyway.

However - It has been raining for 3 days now, and Im sure these birds were not
migrants from overnight migration, but birds that had staged together - as they
do - to feed and get fat for the push south to come. I concentrated with my
nocks on one BT Green, and counted over 20 worm or insect meals taken during a 5
min period. That's equivalent to one of us eating a whole Turkey with all the
trimmings in just 5 mins I would guess......................

Paul Carrier - Harwinton