[CT Birds] Stratford Upland Sandpiper, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 7 18:23:20 EDT 2011

9/7  Stratford, CT
Rt. 113, Lordship Blvd., Sikorsky Airport, 1:40 pm - finally something
noteworthy here (since June): 1 UPLAND SANDPIPER on the grassy area near the
Observation lot, quickly flushed by an airport truck, flew around twice,
calling, then flew in direcftion of  Short Beach.  I saw it for a total of about
1 minute. One Savannah Sparrow (breeder?).

Short Beach Park, Dorne Drive -  variety of shorebirds in rain pool near old
mini-golf course, including 4 Pectoral Sandpipers. One FORSTER'S TERN working
along tidal lagoon and inlet.

Stratford Marina, Broad St., 10:10 am - nice collection of shorebirds including
1 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER. 3 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons in trees.

Coastal Greenway & "Avco" Cove (Beacon Point), Birdseye St., 10:30 am - usual
assortment of water and shore birds, 2 Common Ravens. And at 3:30 pm, there were
5 juvenile BLACK SKIMMERS skimming. 1 Yellow Warbler, lots of swallows and 3
Purple Martins, 1 Merlin.

Wooster Park Pond, Freeman Ave. - 2 Solitary Sandpipers.

I also conducted a sea watch from Stratford Point during the drizzle and NE
winds (11:30 - 12:30) - saw only the usual terns and gulls.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford