[CT Birds] FW: [MASSBIRD] Nocturnal migration again tonight?

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 9 06:18:10 EDT 2011

Check out Marshall Iliff's posting from Massbird.

Tina Green

As Tim Spahr reported, last night was a widespread and superb nocturnal migration event. Veeries dominated, with hundreds of birds calling per hour. The past couple days have had clear weather to our north (in e.g., northern Maine) and cloudy or drizzly conditions over Massachusetts, which is perfect for both fallout and nocturnal calling events. Ordinary good moigration days have the passerines flying too high to be easily heard at night. but when birds are on the move (due to good migration conditions to our north), but forced low by clouds or rain, then they call more frequently and low enough to be easily heard. Even if you can; identify their tricky nocturnal calls, it can be fun to sit outside and listen to the volume of birds passing overhead. Last night was amazing for the huge numbers of Veeries that must have been moving an a very broad front last night.

My effort at Millennium Park can be seen here, or read in full below my signature (with checklist comments, not viewable in this link): http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S8783216

I would predict that tonight is another good night, as the overcast conditions should persist but current satellite imagery shows clearing to our north. I urge you to give it a try! Elevated areas, especially ones with lots of light, are the best places to hear nocturnal migrants. Well-lit and quiet parking lots are a close second, since birds call more often in lit areas (and may end up circling).

Marshall Iliff

Marshall J. Iliff
miliff AT aol.com
West Roxbury, MA
eBird/AKN Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Ithaca, NY

* Millennium Park, Suffolk, US-MA
Sep 7, 2011 10:55 PM - 12:00 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     I did a nocturnal migration count from the upper parking lot. The skies, presumably clear to the north, were overcast with a low ceiling and very light drizzle. Veeries were calling constantly and although some birds seemed to be flying in both directions, the general trend was north to south movement, I thought. The Uppie was a new Millennium bird. OTHER FAUNA: MAMMALS: Coyote - 4, My overdue first Coyotes for Millennium, at least 4 animals yodeling
8 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  1
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  1
Upland Sandpiper (Bartramia longicauda)  1     **rare; higher and a bit more distant than the thrush flight, but a
Veery (Catharus fuscescens)  198     constantly calling; estimate of individuals overhead during 65
Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's Thrush (Catharus minimus/bicknelli)  1
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus)  11
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)  1
warbler sp. (Parulinae sp.)  16     most short and clear, like parula
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  1
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)  8

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)